Thursday, August 21, 2008

Everyday Thoughts



Walking into Budapest's train station, and through the gate to my train that was already sitting patiently there to take me, without complaint, to Romania...I decided to walk along it's unrelenting length to have a look at it, and get my last walk in for the next sedentary 12 hours. When I finally decided to step aboard it's antiquity, I then found myself walking most of the length back again, along the narrow windowed corridor looking in, and for a compartment that I felt I would like to spend my journey in. Having found the least crowded compartment, containing one man, I stepped in and plunked my bag, and myself down. Once on the move, when asked for my ticket, my eyes literally bugged out when I saw THE very numbered compartment, and THE very numbered seat that I - on an oblivious whim - decided to plunk down in on, was the very compartment and seat assigned to me back in Toronto! I couldn't get my head around that could be the case for an entire mile.

I mention that because, that is, in essence, how I travel. Blindly, by feel. But the things you find are astonishing.
Somehow, I find myself precisely where I need, or am, supposed to be.

This intuiting nature baffles even me. But I love it.

The man sitting across from me is a mystery. We never spoke one word for the duration of his portion of the journey.

But from that man, sitting directly across from me, I could tell...

He looked older than he likely was.
He has known hard labour.
He has known a hard life.
He was likely going back to where he once belonged.
He was leaving either where he worked or where he tried to find work.
He himself was hard....but still so very deeply human.

He was not a broken man, just knows the brink.

From him the follow thought came crashing through to me.....though cliched it may be!

We have, in our grasp, for those with the capacity to stop and really take notice...

Our decisions of yesterday are what brought us here today.
Every brand new day brings with it - literally - a new start. A clean slate. A second chance. Another try.


A cliché, to be sure, but so true all the same.

Every day is a new opportunity for it - life - to be different, not the way it was or has been, or all we know or have been shown, but how it could, might still possibly, or ought to be.

It's always just up to us to 'make it so'.

But so few see or feel this, or brush off this tired and worn out cliche and never try their hand with that experiment, so every day goes wholly unused, unchanged and unnoticed.

Everyday brings us people and places we cannot have imagined or considered.
Everyday shows us something we were just about to forget altogether, or hadn't quite fully known before.
Everyday finds us either closer to, or further away from who we could / ought to be, or were.
Everyday is as individual, and as unique and as taken for granted, as every heartbeat we're allowed, and every breath we breathe.

That's is how much we don't realise we have throughout our journey whether it is just at the beginning of a brand new day, or long on the road in life.

With each person is a real, alive, deep, sentient, thinking, knowing, feeling. living, worrying, wishing, breathing just as yourself being that we may never fully discover. But exist is all does.

Stop and hone in and think and contemplate and consider, and let thoughts and feelings and noticings swirl around you more freely. All I suggest here is you let all that enter into you and your mind, your heart and your soul, and more of life will be yours to enjoy on your own journey, even if you're just going to work.

We came to a stop in Szolnok, Hungary. This was his stop. Many passengers left, fewer got on. But my silent travel companion stopped, after grabbing his luggage, turned and nodded his silent farewell to me, as he took his leave and stepped off.

This is what a lot of life is about.

Communication, comprehension and compassion in silence.

This is what transcends boundaries.

No comments: