Friday, May 30, 2008

The Spoils Of Ruin

Needless to say the news of the "untouched tribe" along the border of Peru and Brazil is captivating.

I had lost faith that any such pockets-of-life-and-time could exist in this kind of world.
I had thought the ravaging-marketplace, space sweeping satellite images had scoured, seeped into and stained every nook, cranny and crevasse on earth by now - fuelled by an insatiable hunger for money.
Without glorifying these existing, now exposed, people - the way I see it is:
They are us. We are them.
Will they be allowed to remain 'untouched', unaffected unspoiled? Not so much as one generation from now.
No.
Our [debatable] 'civilised, evolved, modern sapien-selves' are incapable of leaving anything alone for long.
Historically, we have only "learned" and discovered through destruction....even then....
...we really don't appear to truly learn. Which predominantly leaves just destruction as being our path.
It is this 'civilized, evolved, modern' aspect within our world, and selves that we have created, and live within that ruins the majority of things we encounter, and that had existed naturally for eons, prior to our contact.
We only have to look at how we even came to see this 'untouched tribe' for an example of what I mean...the very encroaching illegal logging part took a quick and quiet backseat to the ready exposure of primitive people.
Our unethical, uncivilized, unconscionable, uncouth, unthinking, unquestioning, un-empathetic 'society' is, in my view, far more primitive than authentic primitive.
But who am I to say anything? ....living in this civilized ravaged 'world without'.
The only distinction that I would like to try and make is: any 'extinction of a primitive people' would be, to my mind, evidence of the manifestation of man's own annihilation of itself.
What will happen to them - in time, will happen to us.
By us.
I'm beginning to believe we are, as a species, hard wired to destroy, far more and faster than we can create.
I'm reminded of an old quote I heard - Do not destroy that which you cannot create.
I don't know who said it, but all life, along with our planet,
would do well if more of us lived by that adage.


No comments: